Failbetter’s award-winning PC game is now available for your iPad. Take the helm of your steamship and set sail for the unknown. Sunless Sea is a game of discovery, loneliness and frequent death, set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London. If the giant crabs, sentient icebergs and swarms of bats don’t get you, madness and cannibalism certainly will. But that old black ocean beckons, and there’s loot for the brave souls who dare to sail her. Betray your crew, sell your soul to a Devil, marry your sweetheart. Survive long enough and you’ll achieve your life’s ambition. You will die, but your legacy will live on.
About the game
Sunless Sea is meant to be challenging. While death is permanent and each new game randomly reshapes the world, certain things remain static from playthrough to playthrough. As you learn more about the “Unterzee” with each game, you better equip yourself to survive the more challenging scenarios when you play again.
You play as a sea captain in a steampunk/Lovecraftian/fantasy version of London that’s fallen beneath the surface of the earth and onto a subterranean sea. You set out from your home port of Fallen London in pursuit of a goal — fame, exploration, finding your father’s remains. Some locations remain the same while others move around.
Through lush text, you travel to strange lands, trade mysterious goods, and unravel bizarre tales surrounding even more bizarre characters. You have to manage food, fuel and sanity heavily dependant on light, as well as fight the occasional pirate or monster that appears from the ocean’s depths. You’ll die a lot in a lot of unusual ways like been killed by living icebergs, gone mad in complex mazes, and had your crew mutiny and eat each other while at sea. The game uses perma-death, meaning that if you die you have to restart the game, though you can turn this option off.
Features of the Sunless Sea app
- You will find a deep, compelling world packed with 350,000+ words of stories and secrets. Find your father’s bones. Determine London’s destiny. Defy the gods of the deep sea.
- Also find beautiful, hand drawn art: castles of sparkling ice, prisons perched on lily pads, fog-shrouded lighthouses and the dawn machine.
- Your captain will die. But you can pass on resources from one generation to the next. Acquire a family home and a hoard of heirlooms. Build up your own story across generations of zailors who braved the sea and lost – or won…
- Find real-time combat against ships and Zee-beasts, spider-crewed dreadnoughts and sentient icebergs.
- With light and dark, terror and madness: stray too far from the gas-lamps of civilisation and your crew will grow fearful and eventually lose their sanity.
- You can upgrade your steamship with powerful engines, cannons and pneumatic torpedo guns.
- You can hire unique officers like the Haunted Doctor and the Irrepressible Cannoneer. Each has a story to tell, if you can draw it out of them.
- Choose a ship’s mascot: the Comatose Ferret, the Wretched Mog, the Elegiac Cockatoo, and more!
- Also trade or smuggle silk and souls, mushroom wine and hallucinogenic honey.
You can download this game app from iTunes store which costs you $14.99 and requires iOS 8.0 or later for your device to be compatible and rum smooth.