It is commonly seen that iOS updates come with bugs and issues and recently with iOS 8 Apple with added features like custom keyboards, widgets and extensions came up with the problem of Bluetooth connectivity. It has been found that a number of iPhone and iPad users aren’t able to connect their device to Bluetooth based accessories such as, earphones, speakers or even car stereos.
If you are experiencing this issue as a first step you make sure that the problem is with your device like iPhone or iPad and not with the Bluetooth accessory you’re trying to connect to. So try connecting to the accessory with your Mac, PC or any other device, and see if things work fine or not.
If you find out that the problem lies with your iPhone or iPad running iOS 8, here are a few solutions you could try:
Turn off Bluetooth and Reboot
- First turn off your Bluetooth and restart your iPhone or iPad
- Turn off Bluetooth from Control Center, or by going to Settings > Bluetooth and turning off the switch.
- Reboot your iPhone by holding the Home button and the Power button until you see the Apple logo
- Now enable Bluetooth again from Control Center or Settings > Bluetooth
- Try connecting to the device now.
If the previous step didn’t work for you, you can try forgetting the device you paired with from Settings, and then try reconnecting:
- Open Settings and go to Bluetooth.
- Tap on the “i” icon against the device name you’re having problems connecting.
- Tap on the “Forget This Device” button and confirm your action.
- Now pair your iPhone or iPad with the device again, and see if the issue has been solved.
Reset Network Settings
You could also try resetting your network settings. Here all your Wi-Fi settings will also be cleared, so you might have to rejoin Wi-Fi networks.
- Open Settings and navigate to General > Reset
- Tap on Reset Network Settings
- You’ll be required to enter your passcode, if you have one
- Confirm your action in the popup
- Your iOS device will reboot. Once it starts up, try pairing to the device again.
Restore and Setup as new iPhone
You can try to restore your iPhone or iPad via iTunes, and set it up as a new device. This way, you start afresh, and get rid of possibly problematic customization and settings on your device.
Visit an Apple Store
Even after performing all these steps, you’re still having problems, then you might have to visit your nearest Apple Store to know of any possible hardware related issues.
Also you can contact the manufacturer of the accessory. Just remember that depending on your warranty status, you may have to pay for phone support if your device isn’t covered.